There is a great store for printed sheet music for plucked string orchestras in Germany: Trekel Verlag. But many mandolin compositions from the beginning of the 20th century are not for sale anymore anywhere. (There are some exceptions, for example, the Otto Wrede Regina-Verlag appears to still sell music from about 100 years ago!) On this site, I am collecting links to sheet music for plucked string orchestras that is in the public domain and available on-line.
Mandolin sheet music
Links to websites with mandolin sheet music
- Michael Reichenbach’s site with links to music by Cristofaro, Munier, Schick, Kollmaneck, Wohlfahrt and others. Solo mandolin and plucked string orchestra. His Musicaneo website.
- “Just classical guitar”: website with 100s of PDFs of (mostly) Italian guitar and mandolin music. Solo, duo and orchestral arrangements.
- Compositions for mandolin/guitar/lute by Calace. (Maybe all of them?)
- IMSLP categories: mandolin, guitar, lute. (100s for mandolin and 1000s for guitar and lute.)
- John Goodin’s site with links to his own work and works in the public domain including early 20th century North American music.
- Some early 20th century mandolin tunes from USA.
- Mutopia music for ensembles (Barbella, Gervasio and others)
- The journal Il Plettro from 1906 to 1943 and the journal Vita Mandolinistica from 1901 to 1910.
- The Classical Guitar Library has a few pages with sheet music for mandolin and guitar or mandolin quartett. (Mostly Italian pieces from the early 20th century.)
- The University of Rochester Library has some sheet music. For example, searching for “mandolin” retrieves copies of the Crescendo Journal.
- Not mandolin, but zither music from Germany that was played in USA in the early 20th century.
- Japanese site with lists of mandolin composers and compositions. No sheet music, but a very comprehensive site.
Folk and Bluegrass: